Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rx for Church Problems

Ambitious title, huh? Sounds bold, but I believe I have found the real cure for church problems.

I recently started focusing on memorizing some scripture. I was drawn to Romans 12. I have always loved that chapter, even my blog name is taken from Romans 12. I've memorized bits and pieces of it through the years. Now I wanted to be able to quote the entire chapter as a unit. As I have pondered and meditated on it. I have come to realize that it has shaped my life in many ways. In fact, I think it sets guidelines for our conduct in the marketplace, at home and in the church.

....focus on your own gift and appreciate the gifts of others.
....let love be without dissimulation (deception/ ulterior motives).
...not slothful (lazy, haphazard) in business.
...given to hospitality (entertaining vs. hospitality: entertaining focuses on the hostess and everything being just right. Hospitality can even be done in a messy house--is focused on the guest and their needs and comfort.)
...bless them that persecute you.
...weep with them that weep.
...rejoice with them that rejoice.
...be not wise in your own conceits. (hmmm.....)
...provide things honest in the sight of all men.
...as much as possible, live peaceably with all men.
...overcome evil with good.
...in honor preferring one another.
...instant in prayer.

If every member of every church tried diligently to live by these guidelines, I think church problems would be obsolete. What say you?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Been thinking about that "Wise in your own eyes" part lately... God help me! That's a really great chapter to memorize.
Love you!